Saturday 15 February 2020

Seiko 5 automatic watches - the design classic you should own!

The classic Seiko 5 - 50 years of great style

The great Seiko 5 in blue

As the Seiko 5 Series approaches half a century of production, this icon of watches has remained little changed. 

Some might call it retro fashion, I just think of it as a piece of great design in the vein of Bauhaus - where the beauty of the design was equal to the functionality.

For me, the Seiko 5 does both. The case looks modern and streamlined and surprisingly enough, is still available in an almost unchanged format from the originals.

Seiko 7009 - 4040 like mine


Years ago, in 1983 I purchased a 7070-4040 and I think it had to be about the best all round watch I ever owned. The finish was excellent, it kept perfect time and was reliable as anything. 

Recently, I decided to see what was around and found some old 4040's with the  blue face which I purchased. You can still find some decent used ones out there and also some of the Seiko 5's from similar model ranges. 

Modern Seiko 5 SNK with Blue face
I don't think you can go wrong here with one of these


Really for the money you can't go wrong. I personally think the blue face ones really look the nicest and those with the jubilee bracelet like the one above look best. The modern SNK version I think looks a good modern day alternative to a 4040 and they seem to enjoy good reviews.

Old school Seiko 5 6319 in blue from the early 1970's


Best of all, these don't need a battery, they are just powered by your movement! 

Check out Ebay for Seiko 5's, they are a good buy at the moment but interest is starting to pick up on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment