Tuesday 1 June 2021

Guitar reviews for you: Vox AC4 C1 BL Limited edition Blue Covering


Guitar reviews for you: Vox AC4 C1 Bl Limited edition Blue Covering


The Vox AC4 C1 in Blue

Small is beautiful they say and the Vox AC4 C1 BL is in that bracket. Having owned an original early 1960's Vox AC4 I was intrigued to see how this new reissue of sorts would compare.

This example featured had been little used and came through an Ebay seller.

If you are looking for a small amplifier for studio recording that you can crank up, or a small amplifier with a distinctive tone for jazz, instrumental or just general playing this one should suit. Add a few pedals and a great sound can be obtained.

Many bands now mic up their whole equipment so you could still use this miked up through the band PA system and still be heard. So this small amplifier offers you great versatility and it is also light to carry about. There is plenty of volume for bedroom or practice room use too.

The Gain does start to crank things up, with zero Gain and volume about 1 o'clock, start to bring the gain up to hear the amplifier start to really work, it doesn't need much to start to hear the difference between clean and 'agitated' as I would say, I didn't really go mad with the Gain as I don't play with that sound. I like a nice working sound, just a bit of presence. A bit like Hank Marvin's early sound with the Shadows.



Simple Gain, Bass, Treble and Master Volume controls

Back to back against the original 1960's version, the differences between the two amplifiers are the original has a classic Vox chassis mounting the valves and electronic circuitry as opposed to the new AC4 that uses a printed circuit board to do much the same job.


Compact and retro even down to the white handle and vent!

Size against the 1960's one is around the same for this version, although the special edition C1 with the 12" speaker is slightly taller to accommodate that bigger unit.

The original has a partially open back and this one is a closed back which I think makes it run hotter and the sound will be different with an opened back.

Closed back with socket output option to an external speaker

The vinyl covering on my original was in a smooth Rexine vinyl type fabric in a blue grey colour, this new AC4 is a darker blue and with a textured Tolex weave type textured finish as found on the modern AC15 and 30's although their cases have the textured finish in Black Tolex. The speaker cabinet front covering is the classic brown diamond on the early 60's one I owned and grey 'Tygon' weave on this new one which was used c. 1963 on some amplifiers.


The simple PCB Control panel of the AC4 C1

Control wise, both are very simple layouts with minimal controls. The original has 2 inputs normal and a vib term channel, the new one has no vib trem and just a single input. Both AC4s share some same controls, the new AC4 has a Gain circuit to allow you to ramp up the amplifier at low volume.

Played clean the amplifier sounds very nice, even on the original valves, some owners change these out for JJ, Mullard or others to suit. 12AX7 x 2 and an EL84 x 1 provide the real valve sound.

Played through with a Stratocaster on Kinman pickups at a bedroom level of volume the amplifier sounded clear and raising the Gain did start a bit of break up sound, as though you were at a higher level of volume on one of the bigger Voxes like an AC15 or AC30.

With a Gretsch 6120 plugged in it gave me the instantly obvious George Harrison sound, more so when I used the Behringer time machine pedals well. The Brian Setzer sound was obvious making this a nice Rockabilly amplifier with added Reverb to enhance the tone.

I'm not a great fan of overdriven sounds, mostly preferring the cleaner sound for instrumental playing work and in small jazz bands - which this amplifier would suit. Both picked notes and strummed chords sounded full, clear and had the right tone. I will try some effects such as the old Watkins tape echo and a Zoom reverb unit to see how that changes the sound on this AC4.

The Behringer Vintage Time Machine age the AC4 a lift


I connected up my Behringer Vintage Time Machine to the Vox and this gave it quite a lift, the level control on the time machine helps you to increase the input volume and the box gave the AC4 an enhanced and fuller sound. 

I found that the Behringer really improved the sound, making it more 'studio' like - think Abbey Road. The Stratocaster sounded great too, I tried a Mex 50's fitted with Custom Shop Fat 50's and a 1960 replica I made with a Mex 50's red body and rosewood neck, the obvious Hank Marvin and Shadows sounds were there on both.

A Treble control set at about 1 o'clock and a Bass at around 10 o'clock seemed to give a nice Hank Marvin sound, with some delay added and a bit of input boost from the Time Machine, it was sounding nice.

The AC4 sounds great with this old Watkins Copycat tape echo plugged into it

I did try the old Watkins Copycat tape echo machine on the AC4 and it sounds really great, some very nice Hank Marvin sounds can be had with a bit of work adjusting the controls. The really nice glassy tone of the AC4 can be brought out even at a low volume and adjusting the treble on the AC4 does vary the tone. 

I had the Gain set quite low, as the Watkins has channel volume gain controls which help drive the AC4. Most delay pedals don't have an input gain level which is a shame as this helps drive the signal - all too often I try a delay pedal and as soon as you engage it the volume is sucked out of your signal. These are worse than useless unless you put a booster of some sort in front of it - a Compressor with volume gain or an overdrive to get the sound 'alive' with a slight edge.

Overall I think this is a great Vox valve amplifier for the price I paid, my original was £59 in 1985 and this one was £200 so I suppose they ratio out about the same cost in real terms in comparison. 

Roqsolid make great amplifier covers and I have ordered one for this amplifier, I use their covers on all my equipment, reasonably priced and great quality, so I highly recommend them.

Try one of these AC4's and I think you will find it a nice small amplifier, if you need a bit more volume before distortion sets in then the AC10 C1 may be more to your requirement. These are slightly smaller and a bit lighter than the AC15 C1. 

My only points I would like to see added are reverb and a Vib trem but I might be able to add this later on. 

The amplifier seems to get hot and I wonder whether I should make a new back panel with vents and maybe fit a couple of small CPU fans inside to help with cooling. The old AC4 has an open back which helps with that and the sound is not forced out only through the front as on this AC4.

A great amplifier for Studio use I would say, you can get the real Vox sound, the Top Boost alluded to in the Vox writing is not as controllable as on the AC30 which allows dedicated controls for that, for Drive and Volume level. But the sound is quite clear and glassy so you can probably fine tune the volume and treble to suit. I like it and you might too.





No comments:

Post a Comment