Tuesday 17 October 2023

Watch Reviews 4U - EBay Watch verification service - Sadly, a bad experience x 2

 



eBay Watch Verification Service - Good or Bad?

On the face of it, the Watch Verification Service by Ebay looks a good idea, but what is it like in practice? In my experience not so good.

Longines Chronograph Blue dial 44mm Case
Lost in the US September 2023

Longines Heritage Chronograph 42mm
Lost in the UK June 2023

New update!


My own experience of using the eBay watch verification service has I am sad to say been bad.

Two Longines Chronograph watches I purchased earlier this year separately, one in June and one in September were sent to the verification service appointed inspectors and on both occasions, both watches were lost inside the courier system.

To their credit, eBay and Paypal did reimburse me, but it was upsetting to lose two very nice watches that I really wanted to own.

It looks to me that there are crooks out there 'gaming' this system - they know items like these watches of value are going to inspection establishments and they make for easy pickings in the transport system.

This must be costing Ebay a fortune and also the payment systems such as Payal and the Credit Card companies too.

eBay should change this system now. This is my suggestion below:

The seller should send the buyer the watch as normal and only IF the buyer is not happy with the item, the buyer would contact eBay and an arrangement made to have it inspected.

Only then on receipt of a notification from eBay, would the buyer send it to an eBay authorised inspection location, this would prevent I would say over 90% of high value watch thefts for eBay occurring.

I have identified the apparent problem to eBay.

New update!

The tracking on the blue dial Chronograph went dormant for ages, over a month but the watch 'suddenly' appeared back in the Courier system 2 months after a 'Resolved issue' was suddenly put on the tracking advice.

The watch has now arrived safe and sound to me but only after 2 months and 2 weeks after purchase when it should have been delivered by September 18th. It arrived November 2nd.

I have my suspicions as to what happened to it when it was 'dormant', but at least it is now with me and I can do a review on it soon and enjoy owning and wearing it.

I shall inform eBay about this progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment