Monday 24 October 2016

Employers who fail to read CV's and covering letters properly - I could have been a contender!

Potential Employers who don't

You might see an ideal job advertised and think 'I can do that.'

So you get your CV ready and maybe adjust it to suit and write a really good covering letter.

You might be lucky and get an interview, or never hear from the company.

Recently, about 3 months ago, I applied for a job and sent the CV and covering letter, carefully outlining my relative experience to the role, including practical workshop and repair experience gained over eleven years.

I got a reply, thanks but no thanks.

Funnily enough, as things go, the job came up again 3 months later. So I applied again. This is often the case, an employer takes the least cost, least qualified option and finds a few months down the line they need to advertise the job again, rather than do the sensible thing.

Anyway, I saw the same job come up again, so I sent in the CV and covering letter. I had a contact from the company and phoned them up.

The person there I spoke to said the reason they had not interviewed me before was due to a lack of engineering experience. So I said I had eleven years of repairs, electrical, hydraulic and mechanical , all things this company dealt with.

It was obvious that the company had neither read the CV or letter properly, either time. It also became apparent that the CV reader had no technical experience themselves and had not looked to see what one thing they did not know about was. Not the first time I have had this.

It just makes me wonder, how many other jobs have I missed out on because people don't read the CV or covering letter properly?



No comments:

Post a Comment