Wednesday 20 July 2016

Gretsch 5420T in Fairlane Blue - Joe Carducci could take this to another level!



Gretsch 5420T in Fairlane Blue - nice Candy Sparkle finish

The Gretsch 5420T is a step up from the previous model, 5420T, the next question is why not take it on up a step further?

I love the videos that Joe Carducci of Gretsch makes, he is very enthusiastic about the products and he does have some good stock to show and market these days. The quality generally of Fender instrument stock is improved over just a year or so ago, having recently acquired a 2015 Mexican Sunburst Stratocaster it is nicer to play than a 2013 one I owned previously, it sounds great and I am pleased to have it.

I have owned the gamut of Gretsch guitars from a 1968 6120DC through to a new Streamliner 2420T, 5120 Electromatic (which I upgraded), to the 6120 professional series guitars.

When I saw the new 5420T in Fairlane Blue, I was really taken with it and I think that this guitar could be taken onto another pricing point because it just needs to go there and fill that place.

The thing that I thought when I saw this was it looked a similar colour to the Duesenberg guitar which is around £1300 in the UK and that's partly what made me want one. Except this new Gretsch  not only looked good, it was just over half the price less of the D and it had Gretsch on the headstock.

My feeling having been involved in product, business development and marketing is that there is a strata that Gretsch are not exploiting, that is beyond the Electromatic and below the Hot Rod / Professional series bracket of £2600 GBP, around the £1000 GBP bracket.

This is where they could place this improved guitar with this great colour and other similar 'Hot Rod' type colours such as silver sparkle, blue sparkle, red sparkle, gold sparkle some with big metal flake used to give the dramatic effect in the paint.

In fact why not offer some 50's Pastel Colours as special options too, Shell Pink, Mint Green, Daphne Blue?

Whilst you are there, stick in some Filtertrons, put on a roller saddle Tunamatic bridge and put on a proper V Gretsch Bigsby B6C as the B6 that is on the Electromatic as standard only has 2 screws unlike the USA one which has 4 and is not adequate for the job.I upgraded my 5120 with more screws and nearly 10 years on I am surprised this has not been changed to four screws as standard.

That is why my 5420T is getting a brand new B6C V style USA Bigsby on as soon as it arrives. It just looks a nicer design of unit visually and the USA ones work better.

Whilst you are there, lose those cheap open back machine heads, they are not very strong and put on some Grovers or Sperzl locking ones.

Then you will have the guitar that fits another bracket and looks so good too. I just love that 'Kingfisher Blue' look of my 5420T.

These guitars have come along way from the 5120 that allowed me to own a Gretsch guitar again without it being an unaffordable dream.

My final request is the headstock overlay. That needs to be upgraded.

The Indonesian made Streamliners and the Rancher acoustics have a lovely 50's style Gretsch logo in the squared design font, it just looks miles better than the Electromatic one which looks cheap and doesn't do the guitar any favours, the Streamliner one looks miles better and makes the guitar look more expensive than it is.

So go to it Joe. The market needs this new option! You're the man to do this! A request from Gretsch lovers everywhere.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment